Learn about support programs and financial incentives.
Equipped for Work
Equipped for Work supports eligible employers and individuals by reimbursing them for the costs of goods and services that are required for the commencement of an apprenticeship or traineeship.
Funding is available through payments of up to $1000 per commencement, made directly to an eligible apprentice or their employer.
To be eligible for Equipped for Work, an employer must:
- contact a Skilling South Australia Advisor about employing a new apprentice
- demonstrate that the support is required to achieve the commencement
- have, or plan to have, an employee commencing as a new worker under a training contract after 7 September 2018.
To be eligible for Equipped for Work, an individual must:
- have commenced a training contract as a new worker after 7 September 2018, or
- have a confirmed offer of employment under a training contract as a new worker after 7 September 2018
- demonstrate that the support is required to commence or continue their apprenticeship.
A new worker is defined as a person who has been employed by the employer for less than three months full time or less than 12 months casual or part time (or a combination of both), immediately prior to the commencement of their training contract.
What can be funded?
Equipped for Work reimburses employers and individuals for goods and services that are required for the commencement of an apprenticeship. Applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Examples of goods and services for which the funding can be used include:
- Tools, clothing and equipment
- Vehicle licensing, registration or driving lessons
- Police checks, DCSI and other clearances
- Work related medical assessments or drug testing
- Professional services for employers (eg. legal, financial, consulting services) to support employers in employing, or considering employing, an apprentice.
For more information and to connect with a Skilling South Australia Advisor, call our Infoline on 1800 673 097.
Travel and Accommodation Allowance
Employers can apply for a Travel and Accommodation Allowance for apprentices and trainees that are required to travel long distances to their training provider.
For further information see Travel and Accommodation Allowance.
Other financial incentives and support
Other incentives for taking on apprentices or trainees may include Australian Government commencement and completion payments. These are paid to employers and administered by Apprenticeship Network Providers (ANP).
To find your nearest Apprenticeship Network Provider, go to Find my ANP or call 13 38 73.
ReturnToWorkSA apprentice incentive
Employers may be entitled to a ReturnToWorkSA apprentice incentive for apprentices they employ. The incentive enables all apprentice wages to be exempt for the purposes of calculating an employer's ReturnToWorkSA premium.
- If you only employ apprentices and no other staff, you may still need to pay an annual registration fee to ReturnToWorkSA
- Trainees who commenced after 23 May 2013 will not be eligible unless they are employed by a registered South Australian Group Training Organisation.
For more information and full details of conditions visit the ReturnToWorkSA website or call 13 18 55.