Kick start your career while you’re at school. Australian School-based Apprenticeships and Traineeships combine schooling in Year 10, 11 or 12 with training and employment.
What is a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship
A school-based apprenticeship or traineeship is not that different from a regular apprenticeship or traineeship. The difference is that you still attend school while continuing your apprenticeship or traineeship.
As a school-based apprentice or trainee, you’ll have an employer who will employ and train you on the job plus you’ll do some formal off-job training with a training provider.
Enrolling in a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship has a number of benefits including:
- your training will contribute towards your SACE (or equivalent)
- you’ll start your chosen career or trade while you’re at school
- you’ll earn money while you learn
- you’ll get experience in the trade or vocation of your choice
- your school-based training will convert to full-time or part-time when you leave school.
You’ll attend school part of the week, go to work on some days and attend a training provider on others.
The training contract and training plan
Like regular apprentices and trainees, you will need:
- an employer to take you on and give you on-job training
- a training contract between you and your employer
- and a training plan which lists the formal (off-job) training you will receive from your training provider.
If you are under 18, your parent or guardian will need to sign your training contract.
Your school principal will need to sign your training plan to indicate that your school-based apprenticeship or traineeship is contributing to your SACE.
Who can apply for a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship?
To apply for a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship you must:
- be enrolled in SACE or equivalent
- be in years 10, 11 or 12
- be doing studies which contribute to SACE or equivalent, or a vocational education and training (VET) qualification, or both
- undertake a general occupational health, safety and welfare awareness program before starting.
What happens when you finish school?
Your school-based apprenticeship or traineeship will become a full-time or part-time apprenticeship or traineeship when you finish school.
How do I get a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship?
See Where to start to find out next steps.
If you have any questions about school-based apprenticeships or traineeships, speak with your school careers adviser or contact Traineeship and Apprenticeship Services.