Assistance and support with finding a job​

Talk to someone who can help you find a job. They may have jobs vacant in your area – they can also suggest training options to increase your chances of getting a job.

Whats on this page

Centrelink and jobactive

If you are unemployed, contact Centrelink. They may refer you to a jobactive provider who can talk to you about your existing skills, job prospects and training options.

Call Centrelink’s Employment Services on 13 28 50 to find your nearest centre.

Visit jobactive to search for a job. 

Career Services

If you’re looking for work, thinking about getting back into work after a break, or want to work more hours, Career Services have experienced and qualified people who can help. They will provide one-on-one support to help you connect with the learning, training and work opportunities available to you. To find out more or check your eligibility for Career Services call our Skills and Employment Infoline on 1800 506 266.

Support for people who have been retrenched

If you have just lost your job, you can:

  • Contact your local Centrelink office. Centrelink may refer you for free employment services through a local jobactive provider.
  • Consider training to build your skills for your next job. Learn more about your eligibility for subsidised training.
  • Get your skills assessed at your nearest Career Development Service.
  • Special assistance is available for those facing retrenchment as the automotive manufacturing industry is changing in South Australia, see automotive workers in transition.

Support for unemployed families - Building Family Opportunities

Building Family Opportunities (BFO) provides practical and professional services that help jobless families with their educational, training and employment needs.

A BFO case manager will help you and other members of your family to:

  • find a job
  • improve your education and skills
  • access services that will help achieve your education and employment goals

To be part of the BFO program you need to:

  • be living in the City of Playford, Southern Adelaide, Port Augusta, Port Pirie, Peterborough or Whyalla
  • have been unemployed for 12 months or more
  • have received income support for 12 months or more
  • have dependents who are under 24 years of age

If you think you are eligible for BFO, download the referral form and submit it using the instructions on the form. If you have any questions, call the Infoline on 1800 506 266.

Once in the program you will get help from:

City of Playford

Uniting Care Wesley Port Adelaide
Unit 3
13 Elizabeth Way
Elizabeth SA 5112
Phone (08) 8259 2900

Southern Adelaide

Baptist Care
1 Ramrod Avenue
Hallett Cove SA 5158
Phone (08) 8387 3787

Port Augusta

Uniting Care Wesley Country SA
36 Stirling Road
Port Augusta SA 5700
Phone (08) 7628 3101

Port Pirie

Uniting Care Wesley Country SA
60 Florence Street
Port Pirie SA 5540
Phone (08) 8633 8600


Uniting Care Wesley Country SA
205 Main Road
Peterborough SA 5422
Phone (08) 8651 2666


Uniting Care Wesley Country SA
Corner Ramsay and Wittwer Street
Whyalla SA 5608
Phone (08) 8619 2822

Building Family Opportunities - Case Managers (YouTube, 2:44min)

If you have any questions call the Infoline on 1800 506 266.

Support for people with disability

Disability WORKS Australia

Disability WORKS Australia (DWA) manages the referral of people with disabilities for employment in large organisations throughout South Australia and also manages the Disability Employment Register for eligible people with disabilities who are seeking employment in the South Australian public sector.

Call Disability WORKS Australia on 8276 0900.

Abilities for All

Abilities for All provides training for people with disability who are unemployed. Courses take place over 12 weeks in local community centres.

Call the Bedford Group on 8275 0211.

Disability Employment Services

Disability Employment Services (DES) offers two employment services:

  • Disability Management Service – for job seekers with disability who don’t need long-term support in the workplace.
  • Employment Support Service – for job seekers with permanent disability who need long-term support in the workplace.

Call Disability Employment Services on 1300 363 079.

Support for Aboriginal people

If you’re an Aboriginal TAFE SA student, dedicated services and support people can help you with information and advice on training and work.

TAFE SA Aboriginal Access Centres

The staff at TAFE SA Aboriginal Access Centres are able to provide assistance and support in relation to your training at TAFE SA. The Centres are based on TAFE campuses across South Australia. Aboriginal Access Centre team members have excellent understanding of vocational education and training. They can:

  • work out what skills you have
  • assign you a Training Support Officer to provide assistance in developing your Individual Learning Plan
  • refer you to other services in the community and out in the regions.

There are Centres in metropolitan and regional areas, staffed with people who understand Aboriginal needs. 

For information about TAFE SA's Aboriginal Access Centres visit TAFE SA or contact (08) 8303 2644.

Aboriginal Programs

The Aboriginal Programs team can direct you to services for training and finding work.

Call 1800 627 849 for more information.

Tauondi College

Tauondi College is an Aboriginal Community College in Port Adelaide. It offers accredited courses as well as Adult Community Education (ACE) programs to help with basic skills like job preparation and computing skills.

Learn more about Tauondi College.

Support for people who need foundation skills before they start training or looking for a job

If you need to gain some basic skills – perhaps boost your self-confidence, learn how to do an interview or how to use a computer – you can enrol in Adult Community Education (ACE).

ACE programs offer basic learning programs to people who may have left school early, or have been out of the workforce for a long time, or are just starting on the journey of returning to work.

Learning through ACE costs little or no money.

Find an ACE provider in your area.

You can learn how to use a computer and the internet safely and securely, at your own pace. See Learn computer skills.

Support for out of trade apprentices and trainees

If your apprenticeship or traineeship is terminated before you finish it, you can join the Skill Connect Register. Employers use it to find apprentices and trainees who are out of trade.

Register with Skill Connect or go to Group Training Australia (SA) website or call 8346 2227.

Call Regulation and Contract Management on 1800 673 097 to discuss your training options to continue your qualification.

See restarting your apprenticeship for more information.

Support for skilled migrants

If you are a recently arrived skilled migrant in South Australia you can get support to find a skilled job.

Visit Immigration SA to learn about the support available to migrants and register for services.

For mature-aged people

If you are unemployed and over the age of 40, contact DOME (Don’t Overlook Mature Expertise). Their free employment service includes a jobs board of positions vacant.

Learn more about DOME or call 8410 4344.


Print Page

Please help us improve our website by rating our page.

How useful was this page?

Thank you for rating our page.

I would like to give more feedback.

Welcome to Skills for All

Welcome to our new website for career, training, apprenticeship and traineeship, funding and workforce information. Training providers and apprenticeship and traineeship users can log in to STELA, ATIS and their Skills for All Provider Application from this home page.

For information about Department of Further Education, Employment, Science and Technology policies, science, research and digital technology services, and news releases visit

For help to find what you need, call our Infoline on 1800 506 266.