The government subsidised training an individual can do depends on whether or not they are working and the qualifications they already hold.
Eligibility for subsidised training
An eligible participant is an individual who, at the time of enrolment in government subsidised training meets all of the following eligibility criteria.
The individual either lives or works in South Australia, and is:
- an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or
- a permanent Australian resident, or
- the holder of a state sponsored visa on a pathway to permanent residency (Visa types as below)
- aged 16 years or over and not enrolled at school, or
- aged 16 years or over, enrolled in school and undertaking training through the Training Guarantee for SACE Students (TGSS), or
- undertaking training through a training contract as an apprentice or trainee in identified courses.
Eligible individuals may be able to access:
- one foundation skills course (if their upfront assessment of need indicates the need)
- up to five bridging units at every qualification level (if assessed to need them)
- unlimited priority courses.
Based on the participant's training and employment level they may also have access to:
No qualification or unemployed job seeker who is registered with an Employment Service Provider
a total of
Qualification up to Certificate II level
a total of
Completed a Certificate III or above (including university qualifications)
a total of
Participants can only be enrolled in two subsidised courses at a time. Specific projects and initiatives subsidised through WorkReady may stipulate additional criteria and coniditions which will apply in addition to those outlined above.
State sponsored visa holders on a pathway to permanent residency include:
- Skilled – Regional Sponsored (provisional) Visa, subclass 475 and subclass 495
- Skilled – Regional Sponsored (provisional) Visa, subclass 487
- Skilled Nominated (provisional) Visa, subclass 489
- State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner (provisional) Visa, subclass 163
- State/Territory Sponsored Senior Executive (provisional) Visa, subclass 164
- State/Territory Sponsored Investor (provisional) Visa, subclass 165
- Business Innovation and Investment (provisional) Visa subclass 188
Some other visa types may allow the primary visa holder and/or their dependents to access subsidised training. Call the Skills and Employment Infoline on 1800 506 266 to check.
Sign up to stay informed and we’ll send you updates as information is released.
Some subsidised training has enrolment conditions and is only available to particular groups of students or particular Training Providers.
The Subsidised Training List shows the subsidised training courses and the enrolment conditions which apply.
Training Providers should check the current version of Subsidised Training List at Subsidised Training List.
Upfront assessment of need
An upfront assessment of need is required for all eligible prospective participants seeking access to a WorkReady subsidised training place. This is to ensure that only individuals who have the capacity to undertake and successfully complete a vocational course will have access to a subsidised training place.
The Upfront Assessment of Need Working Instructions describes the process and requirements. All the documents and reports required for the process can be found at Forms and Publications for Training Providers.
Persons under the Guardianship of the Minister
South Australians of any age who have been, or are under the Guardianship of the Minister for Education and Child Development are eligible for an exemption from Student Course Fees for all courses delivered by Training Providers. The normal WorkReady eligibility rules apply.
Training Providers will be paid the subsidy as set out in the Subsidy Calculator for students entitled to a Student Course Fee exemption.
Call the Skills and Employment Infoline on 1800 506 266 for an application form.
Delivering Foundation Skills Courses
Consent is required from the Minister to enrol students in a full qualification. Read the Guideline for use of and enrolment in Foundation Skills Courses and find out about applying at Apply to vary your Contract.