A training plan is the document which outlines details about the formal training an apprentice or trainee will do with you. It is your responsibility to complete and lodge a training plan.
How it works
An employer and apprentice or trainee may choose you as their training provider.
Any new contracts allocated to you are listed on the VETA system (formerly ATIS) – this is the online management system used by Skills SA.
- Search VETA to view any new contracts lodged, and then begin completing a training plan for that employer and apprentice or trainee.
- You contact the employer and apprentice or trainee to discuss details of training, including the core and elective units of competency, and then fill in the online training plan via VETA.
- Print out the completed training plan and arrange for it to be signed by you, the employer, the apprentice or trainee (and a parent/guardian if they are under 18).
- It is your responsibility to lodge the training plan declaration to Traineeship and Apprenticeship Services (TAS) through VETA.
Note, if you are delivering training to school based apprentices or trainees, you must complete an ASbA training plan which you lodge directly to TAS using the contact details on the plan, ie not through VETA.
How to complete a training plan
Training plans (school-based and non-school based) must include:
- the qualification issued on completion of the training contract
- all skills required by the apprentice or trainee to perform the job competently
- the training to be delivered by the training provider
- units of competency that the apprentice or trainee must do.
For information about the process of completing an online training plan, download the Training Plan User Guide.
Lodging a training plan (non-school-based)
Training plans are to be lodged using VETA within three weeks of the new contract appearing in VETA.
What happens after you lodge a training plan?
Once the training plan declaration is electronically submitted in VETA, TAS training plan officers will assess the training contract application.
You will be advised in writing of the decision to approve (or in a small number of cases decline) the training contract.
Training providers are required to keep the hard copy of the signed training plan and must be able to supply it to TAS within 48 hours of a request.
Australian School-based Apprenticeship and Traineeship (ASbA) training plans
If the training contract is school-based, you will need to complete a school-based training plan.
This requires signatures from a parent or guardian of the apprentice or trainee, and the school principal.
By signing a training plan, everyone agrees that they understand the plan and agree to it.
Lodging an ASbA training plan
ASbA training plans need to be lodged with Traineeship and Apprenticeship Services by email, fax or mail using the contact instructions on the ASbA training plan.
To obtain access to VETA each user must complete a VETA Login Request Form and agree to the VETA User Agreement. For new user access, download the request after reading the terms and conditions.