Eligibility for government subsidised training courses.
What's on this page
Eligibility for government subsidised training
You may be eligible for a government subsidised training place if you either live or work in South Australia, and you are:
- an Australian or New Zealand citizen;
- a permanent Australian resident; or
- the holder of a state sponsored visa on a pathway to permanent residency. (Visa types as below).
You also need to be one of the following:
- aged 16 years or over and not enrolled at school; or
- aged 16 years or over, enrolled in school and undertaking training through the Training Guarantee for SACE Students (TGSS); or
- undertaking training through a training contract as an apprentice or trainee.
All eligible individuals will be entitled to:
- two funded Courses selected from Certificate III level and above
- unlimited priority Courses
If you have not completed secondary school or any other qualification or you are actively looking for work and registered with Centrelink, you will also be entitled to two funded courses at Certificate I and II level.
You can only be enrolled in two courses at a time.
Some subsidised training courses have enrolment conditions and are only available to particular groups of students.
These courses are shown when you search for courses, qualifications and training providers using Find a training course.
The groups who may be eligible to access courses with particular enrolment conditions are:
- Training Contract Only
You must be an apprentice or trainee with an approved Training Contract, including School Based Training Contracts.
- TAFE SA only
Subsidised training places are only available through TAFE SA.
- TGSS Only
You must be a student enrolled in school, and undertaking vocational education and training within your South Australian Certificate of Education program as part of the Training Guarantee for SACE Students program.
- Foundation Skills Guideline Applies
To enrol in this Course the Foundation Skills Guideline applies. Read the Guideline for more information.
Current Skills for All student
All existing students will be able to complete their training and there will be no change to the subsidy paid.
The government subsidised training available to you will depend on your employment status. Individuals who are actively seeking work and registered with Centrelink for the purposes of receiving the following benefits will be considered 'unemployed':
- Newstart Allowance
- Youth Allowance
- Age Pension
- Disability Support Pension
- Parenting Payment (single or partnered)
Temporary Visa types eligible for government subsidised funding
The following State nominated visa holders on a pathway to permanent residency are eligible:
- Skilled – Regional (Provisional) Visa (subclass 489)
- Skilled – Regional Sponsored Visa (subclass 475)
- Skilled - Regional Sponsored Visa (subclass 487)
- Skilled Independent - Regional (Provisional) Visa (subclass 495)
- Business Owner (Provisional) Visa (subclass 160)
- Senior Executive (Provisional) Visa (subclass 161)
- Investor (Provisional) Visa (subclass 162)
- State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner (provisional) Visa, subclass 163
- State/Territory Sponsored Senior Executive (provisional) Visa, subclass 164
- State/Territory Sponsored Investor (provisional) Visa, subclass 165
- Business Innovation and Investment (provisional) Visa subclass 188
If you are unsure whether your visa category is permanent or temporary you can type your visa subclass number into the site search area of the Immigration website and find out.
The government subsidised training place available to you will depend on what approved Training Providers are offering. You will need to meet the entry requirements of any course.
Search for courses, qualifications and Training Providers at Find a training course.
To find out more about training costs see How much does training cost.
If it looks as if you do not meet the eligibility criteria, or you’d like more information, call the Infoline on 1800 506 266.
Persons under the Guardianship of the Minister
South Australians of any age who have been, or are under the Guardianship of the Minister for Education and Child Development are eligible for an exemption from Student Course Fees for courses delivered by Training Providers. The normal government subsidised training eligibility rules apply.
Call the Infoline on 1800 506 266 for an application form.