Architects use a creative approach to designing and planning the construction of buildings. They also work with the building trade and planning authorities to manage building projects and inspect work that has been carried out.

Where architects are employed

Most architects work in architectural firms or for businesses that have large construction programs. Many start their own practice after a few years of experience. They often work in areas such as urban planning and design, property development, construction management, interior design, industrial design, teaching, research and journalism.


Full-time architects in South Australia generally earn more than $1,600 per week.

Graph of pay scale for Architect

Job prospects

In 2011 there were 654 people employed full-time as architects in South Australia, compared with 579 in 2006.

How to become one

Usually you need a degree in architecture consisting of a degree in arts or design with a major in architecture, followed by a Masters of Architecture. Architectural training combines art, science and technology.

At school consider doing English and maths. For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia, visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian Universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities, visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT)

Licensing or registration requirements

In South Australia you must be registered with the Architectural Practice Board of South Australia to work as a lead architect to sign off on drawings, and is recommended to support your employment and career pathways.

To qualify for registration, an architect must hold an approved academic qualification in architecture, have a period of practical experience, and complete the Architectural Practice Examination (APE) of the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia (AACA)

Recognition of architect qualifications obtained outside Australia

You can have your overseas qualification assessed by the AACA for registration purposes. Overseas experience may be recognised, however, one year of work experience must be completed in Australia post-graduation to obtain full status.

For information about assessment of overseas qualifications, and looking for work in Australia visit Recognition of overseas qualifications or contact Skilled Arrival Services on 08 8303 2420 or email

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career