Civil engineering draftspersons and technicians provide support to civil engineers and assist with research, design, construction, operations and maintenance of projects such as roads, railways, bridges, buildings, dams and drainage systems.

Where civil engineering draftspersons and technicians are employed

Civil engineering draftspersons and technicians may work in offices, technical laboratories, workshops or on-site. Civil and structural engineering associates are employed in building and construction companies, federal, state or territory government departments, and local government councils. They are also employed by architectural and engineering consultancy firms. There are opportunities for contract work.

The major area of employment is engineering drafting. Demand is usually dependent on activity within the construction industry.


Full-time civil engineering draftspersons and technicians in South Australia generally earn more than $1,600 per week.

Graph of pay scale for Civil engineering draftspeerson and technician

Job prospects

In 2011 there were 587 people employed full-time as civil engineering draftspersons and technicians in South Australia compared with 388 in 2006.

How to become one

To become a civil and structural engineering draftsperson you usually have to complete a vocational education and training (VET) qualification in civil and structural engineering that is recognised by Engineers Australia. Entry to these courses usually requires you to gain your South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE). As subjects and prerequisites can vary between institutions, you should contact your chosen institution for further information. You may be able to study through distance education.

See courses related to this occupation. Ask your career adviser about how to start this training in school.

For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian Universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT).

Licensing or registration requirements

In South Australia there are no licensing or registration requirements. Engineering is a self-regulated profession that focuses on recognition through membership with professional bodies to gain professional standing within the industry. Many employers prefer candidates with recognition and or membership with Engineers Australia.

The highest level of formal recognition is through the Chartered Status Professional Development pathway with Engineers Australia.

Recognition of engineering qualifications and skills obtained outside Australia

For engineers that have completed their training overseas, it is helpful to have overseas skills and qualifications assessed when looking for work.

If you come to South Australia as a migrant you may already have  a pre-migration assessment from a professional body that indicates the status of your qualification(s) and or work experience. This is often all you need for the purpose of looking for work.

If you do not have this pre-migration assessment, you can access assessment services through Engineers Australia. This assessment will examine your qualifications and work experience to determine recognition levels and whether you are eligible to join National Registers and gain Engineers Australia Chartered status. 

For information about assessment of overseas qualifications, and looking for work in Australia visit Recognition of overseas qualifications or contact Skilled Arrival Services on 08 8303 2420 or email

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career