Structural steel construction workers assemble rigging gear to move and position equipment and structural components, erect scaffolding, position and secure steel reinforcing in concrete forms, and erect and dismantle structural steel frames.

Where structural steel construction workers are employed

Structural steel construction workers and riggers usually work for building and construction firms, building industry subcontractors and contract labour-hire firms. Mobility between associated occupations such as crane driver and scaffolder is possible, provided the relevant Licence to Perform High Risk Work is obtained. Due to the greater earnings available, some riggers undertake crane driving during periods of high building activity.


Full-time structural steel construction workers in South Australia generally earn more than $1,600 per week.  

Graph of pay scale for Structural steel and construction worker

Job prospects

In 2011 there were 836 people employed full-time as structural steel construction workers in South Australia, compared with 695 in 2006.

How to become one

To become a rigger you usually have to obtain a Licence to Perform High Risk Work issued by SafeWork SA. To gain a licence, you will need to register with an approved Registered Training Organisation and work under the supervision of a licensed operator. You will also need to keep an approved logbook to record competencies achieved during training. Assessment by an independent assessor will then be required. The Licence to Perform High Risk Work is issued under the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work.

You can also become a rigger through a traineeship in rigging. Entry requirements may vary, but employers generally require year 10. For more information see traineeships. Ask your career adviser about the possibility of starting some of this training in school.

See courses related to this occupation.

You must be 18 years of age to be eligible to obtain a Licence to Perform High Risk Work. However, training may commence at a younger age.

All those who work in the construction industry must undergo safety induction training and be issued with a Construction Induction Card (CIC). In South Australia, training is conducted by Registered Training Organisations authorised by SafeWork SA.

Once you are employed, you may be able to develop, and have recognised, additional skills under the Construction, Plumbing and Services Training Package that will expand your career opportunities within this industry.

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career