Childcare centre managers plan, organise, direct, control and coordinate the activities of childcare centres and services including physical and human resources.

Where childcare centre managers are employed

Childcare centre managers work in a range of settings including private, government and community-based childcare centres, kindergartens, crèches, hospitals, women's shelters and neighborhood houses.


Full-time childcare centre managers in South Australia generally earn between $1,000 and $1,249 per week.

Graph of pay scale for Childcare centre manager

Job prospects

In 2011 there were 431 people employed full time as childcare centre managers in South Australia, compared with 336 in 2006.

How to become one

Childcare centre managers are required to complete a Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification in early childhood education and care or school age education and care. You can also become a childhood centre manager through a traineeship in children's services, children's services (outside school hours care), early childhood education and care or school age education and care. Entry requirements may vary, but employers generally require year 10. For more information see traineeships. Ask your career adviser about the possibility of starting this training in school.

See courses related to this occupation.

Licensing or Registration requirements

In South Australia there are no registration requirements to work as a child care worker. However, you must be qualified by holding a minimum Certificate III or Diploma level qualification. In addition, you must hold a current senior first aid certificate, child safe environments accreditation and have the relevant criminal history and or police clearance.

Recognition of qualifications and skills obtained outside Australia

If you completed your qualification(s) overseas, they must be assessed as equivalent to a minimum of an Australian Certificate III. There are currently two recognition pathways available:

  1. Apply to the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) for determination of equivalent qualifications. ACECQA can provide a formal assessment of the Australian Qualifications Framework the overseas qualification is comparable to as well as a determination at which level the individual can work at under the National Quality Framework (NQF).
  2. Apply to a Registered Training Organisation for recognition of prior learning (RPL) where full recognition or gap training will be offered to meet the relevant Australian qualification level sought.

As many overseas trained child care educators are required to undertake gap training to meet the industry qualification standards it is recommend that you speak to the relevant organisation for advice on recognition pathways and training options.

For information about assessment of overseas qualifications, and looking for work in Australia visit Recognition of overseas qualifications or contact Skilled Arrival Services on 08 8303 2420 or email

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career