Park rangers protect and preserve national, state or local parks, nature reserves and recreational and scenic areas. They also ensure park facilities and equipment are properly maintained, help with guided tours and features of the park, control traffic and participate in search and rescue operations.

Where park rangers are employed

Park rangers mainly work for government agencies. Competition for positions is strong and employers usually require applicants to have some park or nature-orientated experience.

Some park rangers transition to forest, fisheries or land protection officer positions. Opportunities may also be available to work as conservation officers with local councils.

With experience and training park rangers may progress to professional science positions or general management.


Full-time park rangers in South Australia generally earn between $1,000 and $1,249 per week.

Graph of pay scale for Park ranger

Job prospects

In 2011 there were 96 people employed full-time as park rangers in South Australia compared with 70 in 2006.

How to become one

You can work as a park ranger without formal qualifications with on-the-job training. However entry to this occupation may be improved if you have qualifications and/or work experience. You may like to consider a vocational education and training qualification in conservation and land management or lands, parks and wildlife. As subjects and prerequisites can vary between institutions you should contact your chosen institution for further information.

You can also become a park ranger through a traineeship in conservation and land management or lands, parks and wildlife. Entry requirements may vary but employers generally require year 10. Ask your career adviser about starting this training at school.

See courses related to this occupation.

Find out more about traineeships

Alternatively you can become a park ranger by completing a degree at university in a relevant discipline such as botany, environmental science, environmental management or geography. To get into these courses you usually need to gain your South Australian Certificate of Education. Prerequisite subjects or assumed knowledge in one or more of English, maths, chemistry and physics are normally required.

For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT).

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career