Early childhood (pre-primary school) teachers teach the basics of numeracy, literacy, music, art and literature to young children and promote their social, emotional, intellectual and physical development.

Where early childhood (pre-primary school) teachers are employed

Early childhood teachers are employed in education and care services for children aged 0-8 years by state and territory education departments, government and non-government schools or childcare centres. They may work in metropolitan or remote areas, or Aboriginal communities. Self-employment opportunities exist as the proprietor of a private preschool or childcare centre. Other opportunities may be available as home tutors.


Full-time early childhood (pre-primary school teachers in South Australia generally earn more than $1,600 per week.

Graph of pay scales for early childhood pre-primary school teachers

Job prospects

In 2011 there were 594 people employed full-time as early childhood (pre-primary school) teachers, compared with 484 in 2006.

How to become one

To become an early childhood teacher you usually have to complete a degree in education, with a major in early childhood. Alternatively, you can complete a bachelor degree in a related area, followed by a postgraduate qualification in education, specialising in early childhood. 

For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia, visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian Universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities, visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT).

Licencing or Registration Requirements

In South Australia, all teachers must be registered with the Teachers Registration Board of South Australia (TRB). The TRB covers early childhood, primary and secondary teachers.

Recognition of qualifications obtained outside Australia

To gain work as a teacher in South Australia you must submit your overseas gained qualifications to the Teachers Registration Board for recognition to gain your registration.

If you come to South Australia as a migrant, you may already have a pre-migration assessment issued by the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL). You must submit this assessment with your qualifications to be approved by the Teachers Registration Board before registration can be issued.

For information about assessment of overseas qualifications, and looking for work in Australia visit Recognition of overseas qualifications or contact Skilled Arrival Services on 08 8303 2420 or email

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career

Industry information