Secondary school teachers work within the curriculum to teach one or more subjects to secondary students.

Where secondary school teachers are employed

Secondary school teachers work in government and non-government schools and colleges. Some teachers are able to work in private practice, offering tutorial and subject coaching services to students.


Full-time secondary school teachers in South Australia generally earn more than $1,600 per week.

Graph of pay scales for Science Technicians

Job prospects

Demand for this occupation is mainly dependent on government funding and teacher resignation and retirement rates. Opportunities may be enhanced for teachers willing to work in remote or rural locations. Competition for positions in metropolitan government and non-government schools is strong. In 2011 there were 5,929 people employed full-time as secondary school teachers in South Australia, compared with 5,888 in 2006.

How to become one

You need a degree in education and can major in a teaching area of interest such as language, design and technology, or gifted education. At school consider doing English, advanced english, maths, and one of the sciences.

For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia, visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian Universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities, visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT).

Licensing and Registration requirements

In South Australia, all teachers must be registered with the Teachers Registration Board of South Australia (TRB). The TRB covers Early Childhood, Primary and Secondary Teachers.

Recognition of qualifications and skills obtained outside Australia

To gain work as a teacher in South Australia you must submit your overseas gained qualifications to the Teachers Registration board for recognition to gain your registration.

If you come to South Australia as a migrant you may already have  a pre-migration assessment issued  by The Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL). You must submit this assessment with your qualifications to be approved by the Teachers Registration Board before registration can be issued.

For information about assessment of overseas qualifications, and looking for work in Australia visit Recognition of overseas qualifications or contact Skilled Arrival Services on 08 8303 2420 or email

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career

Industry information