Vocational education teachers prepare and deliver lectures and hold tutorials in one or more subjects within a particular field of knowledge.  They prepare and mark essays and assignments, and advise students on academic matters.

Where vocational education teachers are employed

Vocational education and training (VET) lecturers work at VET institutes, regional colleges, private colleges, corporate training centres, and increasingly, in workplaces.

Each VET institute is responsible for the employment of its own lecturers.


Full-time vocational education teachers in South Australia generally earn more than $1,600 per week.

Graph of pay scales for Vocational Education Teachers

Job prospects

In 2011 there were 1,569 people employed full-time as vocational education teachers in South Australia, compared with 1,444 in 2006.

How to become one

To become a VET lecturer you usually need an appropriate qualification and/or experience in the field that you wish to teach. This could be a trade, profession, craft or vocational area.

Once you have qualifications or experience in your subject area, entry to this occupation may be improved with teaching or training qualifications. A VET qualification in training and assessment, training design and development, or vocational training is required to teach accredited training. VET institutes will often support casual and part-time staff in obtaining these qualifications. As subjects and prerequisites can vary between institutions, you should contact your chosen institution for further information. You may be able to study through distance education.

In addition to a VET qualification, a tertiary qualification in adult, vocational and workplace learning, tertiary teaching, or education, specialising in applied learning, is recommended. A number of institutions in Australia offer courses in these areas at bachelor degree and postgraduate levels. Entry to degree courses usually requires you to gain your South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE). Entry to postgraduate courses usually requires completion of an appropriate bachelor degree.   

For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia, visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian Universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities, visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT).

Licensing or registration requirements

In South Australia, there are currently no licensing or registration requirements for vocational educators.

The National Skills Standards Council is responsible for setting the competencies that VET trainers and assessors are required to hold if they are delivering nationally accredited training and assessment services.

Under the national standards, people delivering accredited training at Registered Training Organisations must be qualified. A trainer must hold a minimum TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment from the TAE10 Training and Assessment Training Package, or be able to demonstrate equivalence of competencies.

Recognition of qualifications obtained outside Australia

If you would like to gain an assessment of your overseas gained qualifications in vocational education against the minimum Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, visit a registered training provider registered to deliver the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (TAE40110), and ask about Recognition of Prior Learning.

For information about assessment of overseas qualifications, and looking for work in Australia visit Recognition of overseas qualifications or contact Skilled Arrival Services on 08 8303 2420 or email

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career

Industry information