Financial investment advisers work with clients to discuss financial options and make financial transactions. This includes arranging insurance cover, buying and selling stocks and shares and managing funds from superannuation policies.

Where financial investment advisers are employed

Financial investment advisers work in stockbroking firms, financial planning organisations, banks, building societies and other organisations within the finance and investment sector.

People in this occupation have a legal obligation to provide sound advice, which means that the job has considerable responsibility attached to it.


Full-time financial investment advisers and managers in South Australia generally earn more than $1,600 per week.

Graph of pay scales for financial investement advisor

Job prospects

In 2011 there were 1,648 people employed full-time as financial investment advisers and managers in South Australia compared with 1,618 in 2006.

How to become one

To become a financial investment adviser you usually have to complete a vocational education and training (VET) qualification in financial planning or financial services. As subjects and prerequisites can vary between institutions, you should contact your chosen institution for further information.

See courses related to this occupation.

You can also become a financial investment adviser by completing a degree in finance, financial planning or financial services at university. To get into these courses you usually need to gain your South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE). Prerequisite subjects, or assumed knowledge, in one or more of English and mathematics are normally required. A number of universities in Australia offer degrees in these areas. Universities have different prerequisites and some have flexible entry requirements or offer external study. Contact Open Universities Australia or the institutions you are interested in for more information.  

For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian Universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT).

Licensing or registration requirements

Depending on the type and level of advice you are providing you may require licensing to meet the Australian Securities and Investments Commissions (ASIC) RG146 regulatory standards.

Employers will require a minimum of a Diploma level of education and RG 146 accreditation.

Recognition of qualifications obtained outside Australia

If you have overseas gained qualifications and experience as a Financial Planner you must gain recognition and accreditation to meet the industry requirements and standards. You may be able to have your skills and experience assessed to the minimum education level required by industry through a Registered Training Provider authorised to deliver the relevant course. Further gap training will be required for you to gain licensing and meet the local industry standards and requirements.

For information about assessment of overseas qualifications, and looking for work in Australia visit Recognition of overseas qualifications or contact Skilled Arrival Services on 08 8303 2420 or email

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career

Industry information