Training and development professionals coordinate and administer the training and professional development of employees.

Where training and development professionals are employed

Training officers work in federal, state, territory and local government departments and agencies, training institutions and in many large private firms. Banks, retail stores, mining companies, manufacturing companies, health and medical organisations and other large firms may also have staff training departments.

There is a growing tendency for organisations to employ training consultants for short-term contracts to undertake specific projects. Therefore training consultants often combine training with other human resource duties such as personnel work.

There is an increasing need for training officers with specialised knowledge of new technology.

As a training officer gains experience there is prospects of advancement and promotion. Opportunities exist for training officers to attain management positions or to become self-employed as training consultants.


Full-time training and development professionals in South Australia generally earn more than $1,600 per week.

Graph of pay scales for Training-and-Development-Professionals

Job prospects

In 2011 there were 1,091 people employed full-time as training and development professionals in South Australia compared with 1,021 in 2006.

How to become one

To become a training officer you usually have to study applied learning, business management, human resources or human resource management. To get into these courses you usually need to gain your South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE). Prerequisite subjects or assumed knowledge in one or more of English and maths are normally required. 

See courses related to this occupation.

Ask your career adviser about the possibility of starting some of this training in school.

For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT)

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career

Industry information