Midwives provide care, education, advice and support to women and their families during pregnancy, labour and birth, and provide postnatal care to women and babies in the early weeks following birth.

Where midwives are employed

Midwives may work in public and private hospitals, community and home-based services, community health centres and development programs, women's shelters, women's prisons, the armed forces, refugee centres and fertility clinics. Midwives may work in rural and remote areas. They may also work in private practice by themselves, with other midwives or with a doctor.


Full-time midwives in South Australia generally earn between $1,000 and $1,249 per week.

Graph of pay scales for Midwives

Job prospects

In 2011 there were 403 people employed full-time as midwives in South Australia compared with 344 in 2006.

How to become one

To become a midwife you usually have to study midwifery at university. Alternatively, you can undertake a postgraduate qualification in midwifery if you have completed a degree in registered nursing. To get into degree courses you usually need to gain your South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE).

For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT).

Licensing or registration requirements

In Australia all nurses must be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia. 

Recognition of qualifications and skills obtained outside Australia

If you have overseas qualifications in nursing you must have them assessed by The Australian Nursing and Midwifery Board to gain registration to work. 

If you come to South Australia as a migrant with a pre-migration assessment from The Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) you must still apply to the Nursing and Midwifery Board for registration. You may be required to undertake a bridging program to meet the requirements for registration.

For information about assessment of overseas qualifications, and looking for work in Australia visit Recognition of overseas qualifications or contact Skilled Arrival Services on 08 8303 2420 or email

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career

Industry information