Occupational therapists work with clients to promote health and wellbeing and treat people who, because of illness, injury or circumstance, are limited in their ability to undertake everyday activities.

Where occupational therapists are employed

Occupational therapists work in public and private healthcare organisations including general and children's hospitals, aged-care facilities, rehabilitation centres, day care centres, community health centres, municipal councils, primary and secondary schools, prisons, centres for people with various disabilities, independent living centres and other organisations. Occupational therapists may also work in private practice as clinicians, consultants or as injury management advisers.


Full-time occupational therapists in South Australia generally earn between $1,000 and $1,599 per week.

Graph of pay scales for Occupational Therapist

Job prospects

Employment opportunities are influenced mainly by the ageing of the population, levels of government funding and government policy initiatives. In 2011 there were 419 people employed full-time as occupational therapists in South Australia compared with 280 in 2006.

How to become one

You need a degree in occupational therapy. At school consider doing English, maths, biology, chemistry, health education, physical education and physics.  

For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian Universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT).

Licensing or Registration requirements

In Australia you must be registered with the Occupational Therapy Board of Australia to work as an Occupational Therapist.

Recognition of qualifications and skills obtained outside Australia

If you have overseas gained qualifications you must have them assessed by The Occupational Council (Australia and New Zealand). You will also be required to undertake a period of supervised practice before becoming eligible for General Registration.

For information about assessment of overseas qualifications, and looking for work in Australia visit Recognition of overseas qualifications or contact Skilled Arrival Services on 08 8303 2420 or email

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career

Industry information