Physiotherapists treat problems with human movement that might be caused by injury and disease.

Where physiotherapists are employed

Physiotherapists work in hospitals, community health centres, centres for physically disabled people, mental health services, rehabilitation centres, sports clinics, fitness centres, government departments and universities. Physiotherapists can also work in managerial and research positions. Opportunities also exist to become self-employed in private practice.

"Working as a Sports Physiotherapist opens up lots of opportunities for variety in my working life" - Kate Beerworth, APA Sports Physiotherapist.


Full-time physiotherapists in South Australia generally earn more than $1,600 per week.

Graph of pay scales for Physiotherapist

Job prospects

Continued emphasis on sport and fitness, occupational health and safety and aged care has increased the demand for physiotherapists. In 2011 there were 830 people employed full-time as physiotherapists in South Australia compared with 628 in 2006.

How to become one

You need a degree in health science or physiotherapy and can continue with post graduate studies in specialist areas such as neurological or sports physiotherapy.  At school consider doing English, maths, biology, chemistry, health education, physical education and physics.

For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian Universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT).

Licensing or registration requirements

You must be registered with the Physiotherapy Board of Australia to work as a physiotherapist in Australia.

Physiotherapists who hold full registration and a current annual practising certificate issued by the Physiotherapy Board of New Zealand can apply for General Registration directly to the Physiotherapy Board of Australia under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement (TTMRA).

Recognition of qualifications and skills obtained outside Australia

If you have overseas gained qualifications and work experience, you must first have your qualifications assessed by the Australian Physiotherapy Council (APC) before you can apply for registration.

The APC assessment process consist of three parts:

  • Initial Assessment
  • Written Examination
  • Clinical Assessment

Once you have had your qualifications successfully assessed, you must then fulfil the Board’s registration requirements.

For information about assessment of overseas qualifications, and looking for work in Australia visit Recognition of overseas qualifications or contact Skilled Arrival Services on 08 8303 2420 or email

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career

Industry information