Mining engineers are involved with extracting, producing and processing minerals from the natural environment. Part of this process also involves dealing with potential damage to the environment.

Where mining engineers are employed

Most mining engineers work for mining companies, mining contractors, consultants and government departments. They may also work for companies that manufacture and supply mining machinery or explosives to the mining industry. Mining engineers with wide experience may set themselves up as consulting engineers.


Full-time mining engineers in South Australia generally earn more than $1,600 per week.

Pay scale Mining engineer

Job prospects

In 2011 there were 243 people employed full-time as mining engineers in South Australia compared with 76 in 2006.

How to become one

You need an engineering degree with a major in mining or geotechnical engineering. At school consider doing English, maths, chemistry, physics and physical sciences.   

For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia, visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian Universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities, visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT).

Licensing and Registration requirements

In South Australia there are no licensing or registration requirements. Engineering is a self-regulated profession that focuses on professional recognition through membership with professional bodies to gain professional standing within the industry.

Recognition of qualifications and skills obtained outside Australia

For engineers that have completed their training overseas, it is helpful to have overseas skills and qualifications assessed to help in finding work.

If you come to South Australia as a migrant you may already have  a pre-migration assessment from a professional body that indicates the status of your qualification(s) and or work experience. This is often all you need for the purposes of looking for work.

If you do not have this pre-migration assessment, you can access assessment services through Engineers Australia. This assessment will examine your qualifications and work experience to determine recognition levels and whether you are eligible to join National Registers and gain Engineers Australia Chartered status. 

For information about assessment of overseas qualifications, and looking for work in Australia visit Recognition of overseas qualifications or contact Skilled Arrival Services on 08 8303 2420 or email

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career

Industry information