Land economists and valuers advise on the use and value of land and property.

Where land economists are employed

Land economists may be self-employed or work in real estate agencies, financial institutions or property development companies. They may also be employed by investment banks, real estate investment trusts, state and territory or federal government departments, local councils and other government organisations. 

Employment opportunities in this field fluctuate depending on the condition of the property market.


Full-time land economists and valuers in South Australia generally earn more than $1,600 per week.

Graph of pay scale for Land economist and valuer

Job prospects

In 2011 there were 543 people employed full-time as land economists and valuers in South Australia compared with 509 in 2006.

How to become one

To become a land economist and valuer you usually have to complete a degree in construction management, property economics, property economics and development, property and real estate or property and valuation at university. To get into these courses you usually need to gain your South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE). Prerequisite subjects or assumed knowledge in one or more of English and maths are normally required.   

For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT).

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications, see data sources for more information.

Share Print

Choose your career

Industry information